I can remember when we first got our diagonisis (October 2009), people were not sure if they could talk about the baby or not. How could they NOT talk about the baby I thought, I was still very VISIBLY pregnant!!
Not sure how I would share without crying, I did find myself not always answering every question. If they said, "Congratulations", I would say "Thank You!" If people were genuinely asking questions I would tell them, "our baby will not live long after it is born, unless God chooses to perform a miracle." Some people would then share a story of their friend or family member who went through a similar situation or they would quickly say, "I'm sorry" and then change the subject.
Those are the 2 types of people that I continually come into contact with.
Those who are interested in our lives and our story &
those who don't want to talk about things that make them feel uncomftable.
I am so thankful for family & friends who are will to talk about our precious Layla. They are not afraid to tell me a story how they were thinking about her or told someone about her. That means the world to me. That shows me that her life is still being remembered and honored!! I am heart broken when I hear stories from women who say "no one has talked about my child in years!" As mother's, that is what we want to do, is talk about our children or have someone else share cherished memories of our little ones.
I know sometimes it is hard to bring up a loved one that has died and even harder when it is a child. Our first instinct is to not talk about them because we don't want to upset anyone. As a parent of a child that I do not get to hold in my arms , do not see grow up and go to school much less see her walk down the aisle, WE THINK ABOUT OUR CHILDREN EVERYDAY!!! So you talking about sweet Layla, isn't going to bring up emotion that isn't already there!! If you are lucky enough to see me cry when you talk about her, then that means you are seeing a part of my heart!!
Never be afraid to talk about Layla Rae,
because that let's me know you still remember her too!!
Thanks for the reminder. We need them. I just told someone Layla and Nevaeh's stories today. We often remember them daily too. Love you.
ReplyDelete